WHO WE ARE:


The VFW's Capitol Hill blog was recently disabled because of a system-wide problem with Google. In the meantime, we created a temporary blog where veterans and advocates can learn about the VFW's ongoing work on Capitol Hill. The issue has since been resolved. You can once again visit the VFW's Capitol Hill blog at: http://thevfw.blogspot.com

Friday, March 2, 2012

VFW Takes the Hill: An Advocate's Point of View by Army Veteran George Creighton

Our next advocate's submission leading up to the 2012 VFW National Legislative Conference comes from Department of Maryland's National Legislative Committee member and Vietnam Army veteran George C. Creighton. Be on the look-out for more stories from VFW advocates coming to Washington tomorrow to meet with leaders in Congress leading up to VFW Commander-in-Chief Richard L. DeNoyer’s testimony before a special joint session of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs Committees on March 7:

When I returned home after two combat tours in Vietnam as an infantry officer, I felt disillusioned by what had become of my country. After my first tour, which ended in 1967, I was greeted by my family at McGuire [Air Force Base] in New Jersey. After my second tour, ending in 1969, I entered the [United States] in California. I avoided the negative sentiments of the American people towards Vietnam veterans by taking the red-eye flight from San Francisco to Baltimore in civilian clothes. For years after returning, I remained aloof of veteran affairs and activities; even did not attend the prestigious Officers of the First Infantry Division annual banquet.

When the victory of Desert Storm occurred, my wife and I visited a seriously wounded friend of my nephew in Walter Reed hospital. I saw the great effort that was required to help our soldiers and decided I needed to get involved. At the local level, I went through the chairs to become post commander of Bowie, [Md.,] Memorial Post 8065, and then went on to become commander of Maryland VFW District 17. At the same time, my regular work was in the pharmaceutical industry as a salesman and lobbyist in Washington, D.C. My eyes were opened again when my friend, VFW Department of Maryland Past Commander Ray Shipley, started a VFW program to meet and greet [troops] going to and from Iraq at the Baltimore airport. Once again I saw quite clearly the need to help our veterans. With no end in sight to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and with my lobbying experience through my professional career, I realized that I could get things done on Capitol Hill. I was appointed to represent Maryland on the VFW National Legislative Committee. I was fortunate to receive excellent support from the Maryland congressional delegation. I continue to serve on that committee.

As a result of my work and the help of many Maryland VFW members and other service organizations, I became chairman of the Joint Veterans Committee of Maryland. My work with all the veteran service organizations in Maryland to protect and improve entitlements to veterans culminated in 2008 with my honor of the appointment as Maryland's Veteran of the Year. At the same time, I continued my work on the VFW National Legislative Committee.

In addition to mobilizing support for the VFW goals in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, I was able to get many bills through the Maryland General Assembly which assured adequate resources for VA benefits and compensation, and assured a better quality of life for veterans. Some of that legislation included ensuring that the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home received adequate funding; the POW/MIA flag be flown at all Maryland highway rest stops; and that funerals of our veterans not be disturbed by protesters. Other legislation I worked hard for established an increase of the tax exemption on military retired pay from $2,500 to $5,000 and provided benefits for disabled and war wounded veterans in areas not covered by the federal benefits program. All these successes were supported by Maryland Governors Robert Ehrlich and Martin O'Malley, and by Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. My wife, Laudine, and I had the honor of meeting President Obama when he visited the VFW Washington offices in 2007 when he was senator from Illinois and was serving on the Senate Veterans [Affairs] Committee.

I continue to support veterans issues and legislative efforts in the Maryland General Assembly, and the agenda of the VFW National Legislative Committee. My motto is “Leave no veteran behind.”

George C. Creighton is a former Army infantry officer who served two tours in Vietnam. Today, Creighton represents the VFW Department of Maryland on the VFW National Legislative Committee. In 2008, he was honored by the state of Maryland as its Veteran of the Year.

(Images: Top: George C. Creighton, right, stands behind then-Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich, signing veterans' legislation into law. Bottom: Creighton, right, meets with then-Sen. Barack Obama at the VFW Washington office in 2007. Photos courtesy of George C. Creighton.)

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Tax liens are awful and can really ruin your credit history. Yet, losing your checking account, or experiencing your paycheck reduce each week may well be much more financially damaging to start with. Obtain details of levies here: http://www.tax-defense-network-collection-action.com/collection-action/tax-defense-network-irs-tax-levy-american-taxpayers/

    ReplyDelete